Incursio Ergo Sum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Incursio Ergo Sum - A World of Warcraft raiding guild!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Gearing up for pvp

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
unvincible
Admin
unvincible

Gearing up for pvp Empty
PostSubject: Gearing up for pvp   Gearing up for pvp EmptyTue May 05, 2009 6:52 am

Guys after a few weekend BGs I remembered why being a frost mage is fun and would like to start gearing up Unvi for arenas and general BGing. Please give advice on how to gear, thinking that resi is not as important for me as other classes and I'd like to stack a lot of haste if possible. Sticking to PvE items until I get ilevel equivelant, blue tailoring set would be pointless. Really havent looked at anything to do with pvp since wotlk started, saw Strand for the first time yesterday and still havent done WG so I'm a nublet.

I saw the hateful set is available for honour so I can try for 2 of that to go with the Deadly gloves I have and still keep 2T7 (pretty vital). Sacrifices the -0.15s on polymorph cast time but with haste I should cover that.

Dont have a pvp trinket (apart from old 5 min CD version) and should probably get one first but tbh I have so many escapes and gnome racial that it isnt a huge problem in BGs. Could maybe get the haste pvp trinket from WG instead of the resi version. Undecided.

How much Resi and HP should I be looking to get as a starter and what meta gem?

Do 5 man arenas still give more points per week and if so does anyone want to faceroll 10 matches per week with me?

Any thoughts on mages in BGs? A fire or arcane second spec might be fun to play around with when I want to nuke.

General BG tips, seems like 70% of all BGs were Rets, DKs, Discs or trees. Just me or is that normal?

Also guess I'll need to get some spell pen on my gear, will look it up but if anyone knows already then share please.

Expecting Luth and Tep to cheer at this post!

This is a big post because I keep tabbing back and adding more. Pretty new to fighting DKs so they can still destroy me, should I save my blink until DG or freeze them when DG'd then EA and run? Guessing there is a general rule like not trinketing sap etc but probably different for magies. Is there a standard Strangulate/CoI/DG/pet stun combo that DKs use?
Back to top Go down
unvincible
Admin
unvincible

Gearing up for pvp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing up for pvp   Gearing up for pvp EmptyTue May 05, 2009 9:54 am

unvincible wrote:
Guys after a few weekend BGs I remembered why being a frost mage is fun .....

.....{rambling bullshit}......

Do 5 man arenas still give more points per week and if so does anyone want to faceroll 10 matches per week with me?

......{whine}.......

This is a big post because I keep tabbing back and adding more. Pretty new to fighting DKs so they can still destroy me, should I save my blink until DG or freeze them when DG'd then EA and run? Guessing there is a general rule like not trinketing sap etc but probably different for magies. Is there a standard Strangulate/CoI/DG/pet stun combo that DKs use?

Edited for the relevant parts, chose a gear plan and going to get started.
Back to top Go down
Tepisor

Tepisor

Gearing up for pvp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing up for pvp   Gearing up for pvp EmptyTue May 05, 2009 11:18 am

Try looking through these: http://www.arenajunkies.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48 . Dont be fooled, most of those people are really a bunch of elitist jerks, but some threads there can be useful.

Also, seeing Murloc is mostly offline, we should start doing some Disc/DK/Mage combos (or even RMP if Luth want to go on Luthien). Or 5s.

I'll help you with any arena team really, even 2v2 if Luth decides to leave the team or he manages to piss me off (again).

Edit: for priests, the general rule is the NEVER trinket sap, but wait for the kidney shot. I dont see why it would be different for mages.
Back to top Go down
http://itankstuff.com
Luthlet

Luthlet

Gearing up for pvp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing up for pvp   Gearing up for pvp EmptyTue May 05, 2009 11:32 am

I agree, 3v3 ftw. We should totally try that.

Also, just keep in mind that most frost mages have around 19-22k HP, not sure about the resilience but i agree it's far less vital to you than to many other classes.

Just do some arenas and BGs, you can buy PvP hateful gear for 30-50k honor a piece, or for 12k honor and a few hundred Arena Points a piece. Your choice really.

If you ever want to BG...

You have my sword cat

About the sap, it's different because mages can blink to remove stuns.

Also, check out the WG rewards. There's some deadly-level gear there, and a pvp trinket that also gives Spellpower as well as removing your stuns/fears/incapacitations. (the normal epic pvp trinket gives 84 resilience)
Back to top Go down
unvincible
Admin
unvincible

Gearing up for pvp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing up for pvp   Gearing up for pvp EmptyTue May 05, 2009 11:50 am

Cheers guys.

I was thinking about the honour legs for 2 set bonus, WG marks haste chest, deadly honour off set pieces where my PvE gear has low stam, T7 head and shoulders. Will get resi pvp trinket first then save WG marks for the haste version after I get the chest.

Sorry I wasnt clear earlier I know the general rules for avoiding rogue CCs and the difference for a mage. Was wondering if there are any tips or rules of thumb for DK CC.
Guess that with a couple of death runes and some luck using the pvp glove bonus there is no way I can get away from a DK without a dispeller.
Back to top Go down
Luthlet

Luthlet

Gearing up for pvp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing up for pvp   Gearing up for pvp EmptyTue May 05, 2009 5:30 pm

DKs are pretty easy to cc actually, just make sure you dont try to frost nova him when he has his Anti-Magic Shell up. Save blink for when he death grips and that's about it.

The combo i usually use on a mage is

Icy Touch while running at him(glyphed, giving me 20 runic power)
Anti-Magic Shell, giving me immunity to the frost nova he stupidly uses
Plague Strike
Blood Strike
Blood Strike

By this moment they blink away from me or do something else, either way usually they're gone and i'm either frost nova'd or slowed so depending on what they did i either trinket or deathgrip him to me so i can melee him with scourge strike. Hardly ever use Strangulate, don't need it often but then again most mages are scrubs.

And yes, very excited that you have turned to the dar... pvp side!
Back to top Go down
unvincible
Admin
unvincible

Gearing up for pvp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing up for pvp   Gearing up for pvp EmptyWed May 06, 2009 4:03 am

Luthiën wrote:
DKs are pretty easy to cc actually, just make sure you dont try to frost nova him when he has his Anti-Magic Shell up. Save blink for when he death grips and that's about it.

The combo i usually use on a mage is

Icy Touch while running at him(glyphed, giving me 20 runic power)
Anti-Magic Shell, giving me immunity to the frost nova he stupidly uses
Plague Strike
Blood Strike
Blood Strike

By this moment they blink away from me or do something else, either way usually they're gone and i'm either frost nova'd or slowed so depending on what they did i either trinket or deathgrip him to me so i can melee him with scourge strike. Hardly ever use Strangulate, don't need it often but then again most mages are scrubs.

And yes, very excited that you have turned to the dar... pvp side!

Havent seen any great mages in a BG so far which is disappointing, most use an arcane anti caster spec anyway.

With a priest and a DK I'll need to change to glyph of polymorph to remove all dots when I sheep. Best spell ever - minimal mana, most powerful heal in game, removes all dots (magic/curse/bleeds). Give friendly target version!
Back to top Go down
unvincible
Admin
unvincible

Gearing up for pvp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing up for pvp   Gearing up for pvp EmptyFri May 15, 2009 8:57 am

Progress update:

Got a lot of the gear I needed to start off with, 417 resi now and still over 2k SP plus ~18k hp which is working well in BGs. Dont think I'll try for too much more resi but I desperately need more haste, only have 200ish right now and I want 400+. Stupid mage sets all have crit apart from the lower ilevel WG gear.

Arcane pvp dual spec now which is fun to play and destroys BGs while being squishier than a kitten in a blender. Takes a bit more forethought to stay alive for more than 3 seconds but means I can kill healers instead of watching 2 horde kill 8 allies who try to auto attack the prot warrior. Love seeing other mages around trying to play with 3 buttons, they are my prey - I am the alpha mage!

If anyone else feels like BGing then give me a shout. We may get ripped apart but at least it's amusing.

Bragging time - I solo'd a very well geared resto druid and an Arms warrior from the same guild at the start of Sota (so all CDs and full mana/hp). This makes me the greatestest mage ever and I should get medals and a TV movie. Completely OOMed the druid so he had to eat a full poly while I killed the warr and evocated and stole his innervate. Only possible due to the lack of pillars but made all the pvping worthwhile.

/waits for medal
Back to top Go down
Tepisor

Tepisor

Gearing up for pvp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing up for pvp   Gearing up for pvp EmptyFri May 15, 2009 1:18 pm

Gearing up for pvp Medal-of-honor-010
Back to top Go down
http://itankstuff.com
Luthlet

Luthlet

Gearing up for pvp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing up for pvp   Gearing up for pvp EmptyFri May 15, 2009 4:04 pm

TV Movie:

Gearing up for pvp Unvithemovie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gearing up for pvp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing up for pvp   Gearing up for pvp Empty

Back to top Go down

Gearing up for pvp
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Incursio Ergo Sum :: Non-members :: Character Optimization-
Jump to: